Back to Resumes
Emily K. Sumrall
T: 817.716.2727 | E: Eksumrall@gmail.com | LinkedIn
6538 Prosper St. Dallas, TX 75209
Collaborative, thought leader with a passion for turning facts and data into stories that stimulate growth,
enhance reputation, inspire action and foster a purpose-driven culture.
Corporate Relations - Internal and External Communications (Feb. 2019 – present)
Handled and owned internal and external communications including media relations, social media strategy and employee culture for Allstate’s $4B operation in Texas. Accountable for increasing positive media tone, enhancing corporate reputation and driving understanding of business strategy.
- Administered The Allstate Foundation’s grant program in Texas, ensuring alignment of nonprofit partnerships to The Allstate Foundation’s philanthropic pillars.
- Responsible for engaging stakeholders including nonprofit partners, Texas agency owners, Allstate employees and the Irving Talent Center to support The Allstate Foundation’s focus areas and to maximize Allstate’s impact on communities across Texas.
- Developed social engagement campaigns for influencer-status agents to amplify awareness and participation in community leadership projects.
- Established a framework for researching and identifying high-visibility, high-impact funding opportunities in Greater Dallas to enhance Allstate’s reputation during a multi-year expansion phase.
- Formed and led Allstate’s Texas Region engagement and culture team to cultivate a purpose-driven culture.
- Developed strategic communication campaigns designed to keep stakeholders engaged, energized and connected during COVID-19 work-from-home orders.
- Responsible for the development of written and video communications to foster company culture and to reinforce Allstate’s core values and Shared Purpose.
- Helped to design a communication framework to support the integration and engagement of Allstaters at a 3,000-employee campus.
- Responsible for enhancing Allstate’s reputation in Texas through the strategic distribution of Allstate’s data-based press releases, media alerts and inquiries in Texas – earning 101 unique media placements in 2019 and 118 placements in 2020 (as of July 2).
- Built and maintained working relationships with media contacts at TV, online, radio and print publications across the state.
- Developed and maintained engaging content for Allstate’s Texas Region Twitter account to amplify Allstate’s voice and message of care for local communities.
- Handled and owned internal and external communications for Allstate’s $4B regional operation in Texas.
- Rebranded and owned Allstate’s weekly, growth-focused newsletters for 1,300 Texas agents and 3,631 agency staff members; increasing the open rate for agents from 43% to a quarterly average of 55% and the staff-newsletter open rate to 40% from 14% in 2019.
- Activated and facilitated best practice virtual sharing sessions for 1,300 Texas Allstate agents. Developed and distributed recorded sessions earning 800+ views on-demand.
BIG BROTHERS BIG SISTERS LONE STAR
Greater Dallas - Communication Specialist July 2018 – Jan. 2019
Abilene - Public Relations Professional June 2017 – July 2018
- Designed and implemented BBBS Greater Dallas’ social media and email editorial calendar to streamline integration across departments.
- Built strategic partnerships with department leadership to source, write and distribute mission-focused stories.
- Developed and led the execution of BBBS social media and email campaigns to drive volunteer, consumer and donor recruitment and engagement.
- Designed and led the execution of BBBS Greater Dallas’ digital campaign for North Texas Day of Giving -- earning $210k in donations during the campaign.
- Facilitated the execution of BBBS Dallas’ regional rebranding efforts during the national rebrand of Big Brothers Big Sisters of America.
- Developed engaging social campaigns for BBBS Abilene to grow online presence and awareness of their mission.
Press and Media:
- Led the development and execution of external messaging to raise awareness of BBBS Greater Dallas’ volunteer and donor needs through the distribution of press releases and media alerts.
- Served as press liaison between Dallas Police Dept., Dallas Zoo, Big Brothers Big Sisters and NBC Universal for a national news story on BBBS’ police mentoring program.
- Served as press liaison between:
- CBS 11 and BBBS for press coverage at Annual Black Tie Gala.
- WFAA and Dallas Assistant District Attorney for a news story on the Assistant DA’s history with Big Brothers Big Sisters.
- Cultivated cross-functional relationships with department leaders to source and place stories with key stakeholders.
- Took ownership of a storytelling project designed to steward Abilene donors and developed a step-by-step manual for employees to replicate the project.
- Recruited volunteers at BBBS public speaking engagements across the community. Worked closely with Director of Public Relations and Recruiting to earn 200+ volunteer inquiries at a single event.
- Worked to bring 168 potential volunteers into the enrollment phase; exceeding my goal by 93 volunteers.
- Planned and executed BBBS Abilene’s 40-year anniversary celebration with over 100 attendees.
- Organized and executed engagement activities in the Abilene community for BBBS mentors and mentees.
- Owned the execution of BBBS Abilene’s annual holiday drive serving 11 Families and 30 children. Collected over $500 in-kind donations for Bowl for Kids’ Sake door-prize giveaway.
ABILENE CHRISTIAN UNIVERSITY
Social Media Coordinator and Public Speaking Coach
ACU Speaking Center Aug. 2016 – May 2017
Social Media: Developed and maintained content posted to Abilene Christian University's Speaking Center Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter accounts.
Public Speaking Consulting: Consulted with students to prepare them for a variety of speaking situations, including speeches for class, group presentations, job interviews, conferences and community events.
Training and Development: Served as a Graduate Assistant in the Communication department and consulted with students to help them develop rhetorical arguments and presentations.
Abilene Christian University – MA Communication
Dec. 2015 – May 2017
Abilene Christian University – BS Sociology
Aug. 2013 – Dec. 2015
Navarro College – Associates General Studies
Aug. 2011 – May 2013
Recognition & Extracurricular:
- Allstate Corporate Relations Employee Council Member
- Allstate Texas Region Culture Team Founder and Lead
- Big Brothers Big Sisters Event Committee Member
- Key City Block Party Event Planning Committee
- Oxford Study Abroad Member
- American Red Cross Disaster Assessment Volunteer
- 2015 & 2016 TEDxACU Student Worker
- 2015 Communicating Texas Member (HEB, Texas Monthly, Go Texan)
- Student Athlete Advisory Committee Member
- Fall 2014 Southland Conference Commissioner's honor Roll
- Fall 2014 Abilene Christian University Dean's Honor Roll
- 2012-2013 Region XIV Academic-All Conference Team
Public Speaking, Speech Development, Copywriting and Editing, Press Outreach, Media Relations, Content Development, Training/Development, Social Media, Sales Communication, Quantitative & Qualitative Research, Rhetorical Analysis, Event Planning/Management, Customer Relations, Volunteer Engagement, Employee Engagement, Employee Culture.
Portfolio and references available upon request